244 total views, 3 views today
The child’s father, who was outside the home smoking a cigarette when he heard a loud pop, has been charged storing a firearm in a manner accessible to a minor.
A 1-year-old child was accidentally shot while playing with a 2-year-old sibling after they found a handgun in their home, the Lincoln County Sheriff’s Office said.
After consulting with the Lincoln County District Attorney’s Office, Dylan Sean Moose, 23, of Lincolnton was charged with storing a firearm in a manner accessible to a minor which is a misdemeanor, according to a news release. He was released on a $5,000 unsecured bond.
Lt. Kelly Paris said the girl and her 2-year-old sibling were playing inside of a bedroom at a Lincolnton residence when they found a .380-caliber handgun inside a nightstand. The father was outside of the home smoking a cigarette at the time; the mother was in the same room as the children but apparently was changing clothes and had her back turned, Paris said. The father rushed back inside the residence when he heard a loud pop, according to the release.
Paris said the bullet grazed the right side of the child’s head and that the child should recover fully. She was taken to Atrium Health in Charlotte for stitches and a CT scan, and was still under observation as of Monday afternoon, he said.
Paris called the incident an “accidental discharge of a firearm” and said no one else was hurt by the shot. He said the bullet’s trajectory took it upward and out of the room toward the ceiling.
Gun safety locks are available at the Lincoln County Sheriff’s Office at no charge.